Federal Supports for Post-Secondary Students and Recent Graduates Affected by COVID-19
The federal government has announced a package of new and enhanced financial supports for post-secondary students:
- Targeted supports for students who are ineligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit;
- Increased and expanded eligibility for student financial aid;
- Targeted supports for Indigenous students; and,
- Expanded supports for graduate students.
Federal Change to International Student Work Hour Limits
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has announced that effective immediately and until August 31, 2020, international students may work more than the 20 hours/week during their regular academic session to assist with delivering essential services or functions to protect life and property, such as the health care sector.
- International students and their employers should consult Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Canada’s Guidance on Essential Services and Functions during the COVID-19 outbreak to determine if the work the student is doing qualifies under this facilitation.
- For more information please consult the federal government news release.
Impacts of COVID-19 on Post-Secondary Students Survey (April 19 – May 1)
Statistics Canada is collecting data on the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on post-secondary students and would appreciate your assistance in circulating the survey to students and student groups.
- All students are encouraged to take part as the results will help governments and other organizations evaluate the need for future services and assistance programs to support post-secondary students during and after the pandemic.
- To find out more and participate in the short questionnaire, students can visit www.statcan.gc.ca/COVID-students.
For general enquiries and technical assistance with the survey:
Contact Statistics Canada Monday to Friday (except holidays), from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)
- 1-877-949-9492 (TTY: 1-800-363-7629) or by e-mail at email@example.com
- Guidance and recommendations from the Provincial Health Officer are available online at the COVID-19 Provincial Support and Information website.
- If you require advice regarding a potential COVID-19 case, please contact your local Medical Health Officer.