Time Sensitive Action Requested: COVID-19 Update – December 30, 2021 – Recommendation for Jan 10/22 Start of Classes
Please note the following COVID-19 update for December 30, 2021:
Recommendation for Jan 10/22 Start of Classes:
Post-secondary institutions are advised to delay the start of in-person instruction until Mon, Jan 10/22, where operationally feasible, in order to allow additional time to assess the impact of the Omicron variant and review plans for returning to campus after the winter break. BC’s Provincial Health Officer (PHO) is supportive of this delay.
- Time sensitive programs including clinical or other experiential components, trades training and practicums may however begin as planned on Jan 4/22 with appropriate safety protocols in place.
- Post-secondary campuses will remain open and available to learners including student housing and student services.
- Based on experience in BC and internationally, educational settings are low-risk for COVID-19 transmission.
Public health continues to monitor COVID-19 closely to ensure that safety measures are informed by evolving evidence. In the event that the measures need to change, the PHO and AEST will discuss with post-secondary institutions immediately.
Thank you for the important role you play in supporting the provincial COVID-19 response. Please share this update broadly within your respective institutions.
- COVID-19 Return-to-Campus Guidelines are hosted on government’s public website.
- Guidance and recommendations from the Provincial Health Officer are available online at the COVID-19 Provincial Support and Information website.
- If you require advice regarding a potential COVID-19 case, please contact your local Medical Health Officer.
- WorkSafeBC guidance is available on communicable disease prevention plans.