COVID-19 Update – January 7, 2022 – Learning and Business Continuity for Post-secondary Institutions
Please note the following COVID-19 update for January 7, 2022:
Learning and Business Continuity for Post-secondary Institutions
Public health in BC continues to strongly recommend the continuation of on-campus instruction for post-secondary institutions (PSIs) starting January 10, 2022 as outlined in the Provincial Health Officer’s recommendations.
- Evidence to date indicates that BC’s PSIs are low-risk settings for the transmission of COVID-19 due to:
- High vaccination rates;
- Sector wide health and safety protocols; and,
- High compliance with Provincial Health Officer orders, including the requirement for masks in all post-secondary classrooms and workplaces.
- In-person learning is critical to alleviating the disproportionate impact of COVID-19 on young adults in British Columbia as documented by the BCCDC COVID-19 Young Adult Task Force, including significantly worsening mental health.
- As part of a long term, sustainable approach to managing COVID-19, PSIs need contingency plans in place to support learning continuity for students as well as operational continuity during short-term business disruptions resulting from students, faculty or staff becoming ill due to COVID-19, as per direction from BC’s Provincial Health Officer. Institutions should reference the COVID-19 Return-to-Campus Guidelines and the COVID-19 resources noted below to review and update their existing business continuity plans.
Thank you for the important role you play in supporting the provincial COVID-19 response. Please share this update broadly within your respective institutions.
- COVID-19 Return-to-Campus Guidelines are hosted on government’s public website.
- Guidance and recommendations from the Provincial Health Officer are available online at the COVID-19 Provincial Support and Information website.
- If you require advice regarding a potential COVID-19 case, please contact your local Medical Health Officer.
- WorkSafeBC guidance is available on communicable disease prevention plans.